Palio di Siena is not an historical re-enactment but an integral part of Siena citizens’ life. Palio’s rules are the same since 1644, when the first Palio with horses was raced. The division into seventeen “contrade“ dates back to 1729, thanks to the announcement made by Violante di Baviera, who was the city governor. The ancient origins, the sense of belonging to their own “contrada” and the unconditional love of the “contradaioli” (people of each “contrada”) permeate every brick of the city. During the period of the Palio, the couples distance themselves, friends stop seeing each other, and who live far away from the city, come back to Siena, each one in its own “contrada” to get ready for the most exciting event of the year.
We have tickets to attend the event in the front row, both on the 2nd of July and the 16th of August. It is possible to book tickets in the seats near the “mossa” – the start – or in exclusive windows or terraces that overlook Piazza Del Campo. Some of our locations could be rent out in exclusive, having the entire apartment for the whole day with the opportunity to set up a buffet.
Palio lasts few days, each one divided into many different phases. It is possible to organize a complete Palio tour to live the exciting experience of the race – being hosted by one of the “contrade” that take part in the race – following every moment of the Palio:
- The “Tratta”, when the 10 horses are paired to the “contrade” that will take part in the Palio;
- The “Prove”, trial races that take place in the morning and in the evening for three days;
- The dinner in the “contrada”, the night before the Palio immersed personally in the authentic spirit of the celebration;
- The day of the Palio: with the Mass, the blessing of the horse and the jockey, and the historical costume parade;
- The race of the Palio di Siena from an exclusive location;
- The “Te Deum” when the celebrations start and go on all night long.